What does it mean to design out waste ?
Designers talk about eliminating six categories of waste in order to create a sustainable product:
- useless materials
- unnecessary work
- transportation emissions
- wasted energy or fuels for running the system
- wasted time or labor that the process requires from company employees and customers (waiting)
- wasted resources from system downtime or idling (waiting)
So what does it mean to design out waste ? When we talk about designing out waste, we’re talking about making products and processes more efficient so that we can eliminate as much waste as possible. There are many ways to do this, but some of the most common methods include:
- using recycled materials
- choosing sustainable materials
- creating a more efficient process
- finding ways to reduce or eliminate waste altogether.
While designing out waste can be challenging, it’s definitely worth the effort. By making small changes in our designs and processes, we can create products and systems that are much more sustainable and less wasteful.